Asparagus Cress Soup
- ¾ cup chopped green onions
- ¼ cup butter, cubed
- 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 2-1/2 cups chicken broth
- 1-1/2 pounds fresh asparagus, trimmed and cut into 1-inch pieces
- ½ bunch watercress, stems removed (about 1 cup, lightly packed)
- 1-1/2 cups half-and-half cream
- ¾ teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon white pepper
- ⅛ teaspoon cayenne pepper
- Sour cream
- In a large saucepan, saute onion in butter 3-4 minutes or until soft. Stir in flour to form a smooth paste. Cook for 2 minutes. Gradually stir in broth and bring to a boil. Add asparagus and watercress; cover and simmer 5-7 minutes or until vegetables are tender. Cool.
- In a blender, process soup in batches until smooth. Return all to pan; stir in cream. Heat on low until cooked through (do not boil). Season with the salt, white pepper and cayenne. Serve with a dollop of sour cream.