Fall-Week 2 Newsletter (November 9 , 2017)
“Just to be with a friend, without thinking to ask for their support, help, or advice, is art.” -Thich Nhat Hahn
Fall share box 2 crop list:
- Squash (4 kinds)
- Red cabbage
- Brussel sprouts
- Napa cabbage
- Pie pumpkin
- Lots of crops for roasting – this brings out the sweetness
- Make potatoes with rutabaga and garlic mashed in
- Let your imagination soar with an immersion blender for soup
- Pumpkin is a new variety for pies
- Hang the herbs to dry and use them as you need
- Apples are small with skin blemish but very sweet and crisp
- Brassicas like kale/broccoli/cauli are a bit limp from freezing temps in the field – soak them in ice water to rehydrate
- We have had an extremely cold October and November so far
- We planted half of our 2018 garlic yesterday
- Thanks so much for joining us for our Fall Share Box #2
- Box #3 is Tuesday, Nov. 21! We will also offer a box on Dec. 5th and a Holiday gift box later on in December
- Wash all of the produce before you eat it
Easy stir fry with this week’s produce:
- Cut up a squash into cubes and put into a hot pan with oil on medium high heat.
- Cut your brussel sprouts in half and put them in with several garlic cloves.
- Salt and pepper and simmer for 10 minutes.
- Lower the temperature and add some butter and your cabbage and apples, then more salt and pepper as required until just soft but not mushy.
Enjoy! You can do so many more combinations of this as desired.