- 1 Tablespoon olive oil
- 2-3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 medium yellow onion, chopped
- 1 cinnamon stick
- 1½ teaspoons ground cumin
- 2 cups diced sweet potatoes, about ½ inch cubes
- 1 can chickpeas, drained and rinsed
- 1 can diced tomatoes, with juice
- 6 tablespoons fresh squeezed orange juice
- 1½ teaspoon honey
- 1 cup of water or broth
- 2 cups chopped kale
- In a large pot over medium heat: Add onion and garlic in oil, stir until translucent.
- Add cinnamon stick and cumin, stir until fragrant or about 1 minute.
- Add sweet potatoes, chickpeas, tomatoes and juices, orange juice, honey, and water or broth.
- Bring to a boil then reduce to a simmer, covered and stir occasionally until sweet potatoes are tender, about 15 minutes.
- Stir in kale. Cover and cook until wilted, about 10 minutes. Salt and pepper to taste. Serve immediately.