Parsley Beet salad
- ¼ cup fresh orange juice
- 1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
- ¼ cup extra-virgin olive oil plus more for drizzling
- 2¼ pounds assorted beets with greens (such as Chioggia, white, golden, and red; 1½ pounds if already trimmed)
- ¼ small red onion
- 1¼ cups Italian (flat-leaf) parsley leaves (from 1 bunch), torn if desired
- Equipment: an adjustable-blade slicer
- Accompaniment: fresh ricotta or farmer cheese, or grated ricotta salata
- Whisk together juices, oil, and ½ teaspoon each of salt and pepper in a large bowl.
- Trim beets, leaving 1 inch of stems attached, then peel.
- Using stems as a handle, slice beets paper-thin (less than ⅛ inch thick) with slicer (wear protective gloves to avoid staining hands), then cut slices into very thin matchsticks.
- Thinly slice onion with slicer.
- Toss beets, onion, and parsley with dressing and season with salt. Let stand, tossing occasionally, 30 minutes to soften beets and allow flavors to develop.
- Toss again and season with salt and pepper before serving drizzled with additional oil.