Rhubarb and Strawberry Compote with Fresh Mint
Serves: 3 cups
- 3 cups ½-inch-wide pieces fresh rhubarb (cut from about 1 pound)
- ¾ cup sugar
- ¼ cup water
- 1 1-pint container fresh strawberries, hulled, halved
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh mint
- Combine rhubarb, sugar, and ¼ cup water in heavy large saucepan over medium heat. Bring to simmer, stirring occasionally, until sugar dissolves, about 3 minutes. Simmer gently until rhubarb is tender but not falling apart, stirring occasionally, about 7 minutes. Remove from heat. Stir in strawberries. Transfer to bowl and stir in mint. Chill until cold, about 1 hour.
- Serve the compote over vanilla or strawberry ice cream, angel food cake, pancakes, or waffles.