Simple Beet Greens
- 2 bunches beet greens, stems removed
- 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil, or to taste
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- ¼ teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes (optional)
- salt to taste
- freshly ground black pepper to taste
- 2 lemons, quartered
- Bring a large pot of lightly salted water to a boil. Add the beet greens, and cook uncovered until tender, about 2 minutes. Drain in a colander, then immediately immerse in ice water for several minutes until cold to stop the cooking process. Once the greens are cold, drain well, and coarsely chop.
- Heat the olive oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Stir in the garlic and red pepper flakes; cook and stir until fragrant, about 1 minute. Stir in the greens until oil and garlic is evenly distributed. Season with salt and pepper. Cook just until greens are hot; serve with lemon wedges.