- 1 head Butterhead lettuce
- 2 teaspoons soy sauce
- 1½ teaspoons Chinese rice wine or dry sherry (optional)
- ¾ teaspoon granulated sugar
- 1½ tablespoons vegetable or peanut oil
- 2 garlic cloves, peeled and minced
- 1½ teaspoons minced ginger
- ⅛ – ¼ teaspoon red pepper flakes
- ½ teaspoon salt
- Wash the lettuce, drain and separate the leaves. It’s important to make sure the lettuce is dry). Cut across the leaves into pieces about 1 inch wide.
- Combine the rice wine or dry sherry, soy sauce, and sugar in a small bowl, stirring. Set aside.
- Heat a wok on medium-high heat and add oil. When the oil is hot, add the garlic, ginger and red pepper flakes. Stir-fry until aromatic (5 - 10 seconds) and add the lettuce. Stir-fry the lettuce, sprinkling with the salt, for 1 - 2 minutes, until the leaves begin to wilt.
- Give the sauce a quick re-stir and swirl it into the wok. Stir-fry for 1 - 2 more minutes, until the lettuce turns dark green. Remove from the heat and stir in the sesame oil. Serve immediately.