Vegetarian Chili with Corn
This recipe uses several items from the box you received this week and makes a lot of chili.
- 2½ cups beans, cooked (kidney, pinto, black, or a combination)
- 2 Tbsp. olive oil
- 2 cups chopped onion
- 6-8 large garlic cloves
- 2 small yellow squash
- 3 banana peppers
- 5 medium tomatoes
- 3 ears sweet corn, kernels cut off with a knife
- 2 tsp. cumin
- a handful of fresh basil, chopped
- 2 tsp. chili powder
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 1½ tsp salt
- black pepper and cayenne, to taste
- 3 Tbsp. tomato paste
- cheese for serving
- Heat the olive oil in a skillet. Add onion, half the garlic and the seasonings. Saute over medium for 5 minutes. Add the pepper and saute until tender.
- Steam the squash and corn for a few minutes until they are easily pricked with a fork. Add the beans, tomatoes, and about 15 oz. of water and let simmer for a few minutes.
- Add the sauteed vegetables and tomato paste and let simmer for 15 minutes, until thick. Adjust seasoning to taste.