Week 18 Newsletter (October 19, 2017)
“There is a time for everything, and a season for every purpose under heaven.”
Week 18 crop list:
- Winter squashes – all
- Arugula – all
- Greens mix – all
- Sage – all
- Carrots – all
- Turnips – all
- Pie pumpkin – all
- Peppers (sweet, hot)
- Chard – all
- Potatoes – full, half
- Beets – full, half
- Spinach – full, single
- Melons – single
- Garlic – full
- Broccoli/Cauliflower – full
- THANKS SO MUCH FOR A WONDERFUL SUMMER CSA SEASON!!!
- I will run my regular route next Thursday, Oct. 26th, to deliver the first Fall Share box and to pick up all of the remaining summer boxes/ice packs
- There is still time to participate in our Fall Share season – bi-weekly deliveries of over 15 crops per box. Sign up for one, two, or all three boxes.
- Squashes/pumpkins can last a month or more – cool and dry
- Sage is perfect for hang drying
- Enjoy a fresh salad straight from the garden!
- Turnips can be eaten like a radish, in salad, sautéed, or roasted
- Second planting of chard is still on the small side (deer love this)
- Make a pumpkin pie for the weekend meal
- OUR FALL HARVEST PARTY is this Sat., Oct 21st, from 2-8. Stop by at anytime to visit your CSA farm! Rsvp if you can, but do not let this prevent you from being spontaneous.
- Wash all of your produce each week
- We hope you can join us again for our 2018 season!!
Last melon harvest of the season
Summer season reflections
The combines were whirring far into the night as the farmers were bringing in their soybean from the field yesterday … from planting to harvesting in the blink of an eye. Mom would always say, “Time goes by faster with every year I grow older.” And, dang it anyhow, she was right again!
It has really been a productive and pleasant year down here on Earth Dance Farm.
~The weather has been spot on. We had a couple of 10-day spells of constant irrigation, and some crops could have used some hotter temperatures, but we feel blessed – no floods, hail, or serious drought! Many a Wednesday we have wondered how our crops were all going to fit in the box!
~Our work crew has been delightful and extremely hard working. Their youthful energy and kind ways has made for an especially enjoyable work and living environment.
~Our members, as always, have been fantastic! Kuddos to all of you for your participation and your support of local, sustainable farming. We hope that this experience will help cement a love for great, healthy food for you and your families.
We extend to you the warmest welcome to join us again in 2018 and to have a relaxing and snugly winter season!
I want to give you a heads-up that we will be offering a Christmas gift box again this year. It is a middle size box, filled with 10 – 15 crops with a bow and personally delivered. Crops included are: honey, dried Italian seasoning packet, a jar of dried beans, carrots, beets, potatoes, squash, popcorn, Brussels, rutabaga, leeks, kale, garlic, and spinach. Reserve your box now or we will check in with you in early December.
What your Christmas gift box could look like!
- Week 1 (June 22, 2017)
- Week 2 (June 29, 2017)
- Week 3 (July 6, 2017)
- Week 4 (July 13, 2017)
- Week 5 (July 20, 2017)
- Week 6 (July 27, 2017)
- Week 7 (August 3, 2017)
- Week 8 (August 10, 2017)
- Week 9 (August 17, 2017)
- Week 10 (August 24, 2017)
- Week 11 (August 31, 2017)
- Week 12 (September 7, 2017)
- Week 13 (September 14, 2017)
- Week 14 (September 21,2017)
- Week 15 (September 28,2017)
- Week 16 (October 5,2017)
- Week 17 (October 12, 2017)