Whole Wheat Spaghetti with Braised Kale
In this dish, you can hardly taste the "green" in the kale. You could also but collard greens in instead if you are feeling adventurous.
- 6 oz. spaghetti (whole wheat or regular)
- 2 Tbsp. olive oil
- 1 medium onion, thinly sliced
- 2 cloves garlic, chopped
- kosher salt and black pepper
- 1 bunch kale, thick stems removed and leaves torn into bite-sized pieces
- 2 pints tomatoes (any size will do, but the big ones will need to be chopped)
- ⅓ c. chopped roasted almonds
- ¼ c. your favorite cheese for pasta
- Cook pasta as directed by the package.
- Reserve ¼ c. of the cooking water. Drain the pasta.
- Heat the oil in a skillet over medium high. Add the onion, garlic, salt and pepper to taste. Cook 4-5 minutes
- Add the kale, tossing frequently, for 2-3 minutes until it is tender and bright green. Add the tomatoes and cook until they soften, 1-2 minutes more.
- Add the kale mixture, almonds, cheese, and pasta water to the pasta and toss together.