Basil Pesto with Scapes Recipe
- 10 large garlic scapes, with the bulb removed and chopped in small pieces
- 1 cup clean and dry basil leaves
- ½ cup pine nuts or walnuts (I have also used almonds if they are more easily accessible)
- ¼-1/2 tsp. salt
- ½-1 cup olive oil (or more if you want thicker pesto)
- ½ cup Parmesan cheese
- Put garlic scapes, basil, nuts, and salt into a food processor and start processing.
- Slowly add oil until mixture becomes smooth and uniform.
- Add parmesan and process until mixed.
- Good on hot pasta, pasta salads, or just on bread with cheese! You can freeze the processed basil and oil in individual ice cube trays as well if you will not eat it all now, then add the other ingredients to it as you thaw the cubes.