- 1 Tbsp olive oil
- 1 bulb fennel trimmed, cored, and thinly sliced
- 1 large yellow onion (or 2 small) halved and thinly sliced
- salt & pepper to taste
- 1 tsp sugar
- 2 tsp olive oil plus more to brush on the dough
- 2 1/4 cups bread flour
- 1/4 oz active dry yeast
- fennel fronds
- 4 oz fontina cheese shredded
- Caramelize the onions and fennel: Heat olive oil in a large skillet with a tight-fitting lid over medium-high. Add the fennel and onion and season with salt and pepper. Cook, stirring occasionally until mixture begins to brown, about 5 minutes. Reduce heat to medium, cover, and cook 5-7 minutes. Uncover, add 1 Tbsp water and cook, stirring constantly, until golden brown and soft, about 2 minutes
- Prepare pizza dough (optional; can be replaced with store bought dough): Pour 1 cup warm water into a medium bowl; add sugar and sprinkle with year and let stand until foamy, 5 minutes. Whisk oil and 1 tsp salt into yeast mixture. Add flour and stir with a wooden spoon until liquid is incorporated (dough will appear dry). Turn out onto a floured work surface. Knead until dough comes together in an elastic ball, 2 minutes. Transfer to an oiled medium bowl; brush lightly with oil. Cover bowl with plastic wrap; set in a warm, draft-free place until dough has doubled in bulk, 45 minutes. Punch down dough and cover; let rise another 30 minutes. Turn out dough into a lightly floured work surface. Divide into 4 equal pieces and let rest for 15 minutes before using.
- Heat up a grill on medium-high heat.
- On a foured surface, stretch the pizza dough into a 10-inch long oval or other desired shape. Brush one side lightly with olive oil and season with salt and pepper.
- Place the dough, oiled side down, directly on the grill. Brush the top with olive oil and cook until underside is lightly charred and bubbles form all over top, 1 to 2 minutes. With tongs, flip dough and cook until lightly charred, 1 to 2 minutes. Slide dough to cooler side of grill.
- Top with cheese and fennel fronds; cover grill. Cook until cheese melts and toppings are heated through, 2 to 5 minutes.