|Prep Time||15 minutes|
|Cook Time||65 minutes|
- 1 cup butter melted
- 2 cups granulated sugar
- 1/2 TBSP lemon zest finely grated
- 1/4 cup fresh lemon juice
- 1 tsp pure almond extract
- 1/2 tsp pure vanilla extract
- 3 large eggs
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 3 cups all purpose white flour divided
- 2 cups grated summer squash
- 1 TBSP poppy seeds
- Preheat oven to 325 degrees F. Place oven rack in the center of the oven. Generously spray two 8.5-inch loaf pans with cooking spray and coat evenly with flour to prevent sticking.
- In a large mixing bowl, add melted butter, white sugar, lemon zest, lemon juice, almond and vanilla extract and cream together until fluffy and light in color.
- Add the eggs, one at a time, and mix until fully incorporated before adding another.
- Evenly sprinkle the salt, baking soda, and baking powder over the top of the mixture and mix well.
- Add the flour ½ cup at a time and mix entirely between additions.
- With a rubber spatula, gently fold in the summer squash and poppy seeds.
- Divide the batter evenly between the two prepared loaf pans.
- Bake at 325 degrees F for 60-65 minutes or until a skewer inserted into the middle of the loaf comes out clean. Be careful not to check the loaves early or you may cause them to sink slightly in the middle.
- Place loaves on cooling rack to cool 5-10 minutes before carefully removing from the loaf pans to cool completely (about an hour). One of our interns made this for dessert and it was sooo delicious, I just had to put it in the newsletter!
- Store covered well for about three days or loaves can be frozen. To freeze loaves, cool completely and then pack into gallon freezer bags and seal. Best if frozen the same day as baked.