- 3 cups basmati or jasmine rice already cooked
- 1/3 cup scallions sliced
- 1/3 cup golden raisins
- 3 tbsp lemon juice freshly squeezed, about 1 lemon
- 1/2 cup walnuts coarsly chopped
- 1 tbsp ghee or butter
- 1 tbsp curry powder
- 1 large cucumber peeled, halved lengthwise, seeds scooped out, thinly sliced
- Combine the cooked rice, scallions, raisins, and lemon juice in a large bowl and stir. Season with salt to taste.
- Toast the walnuts in a dry, heavy skillet (preferably cast iron)over high heat until they turn brown in spots and smell fragrant. Transfer nuts to a dish and set aside to cool.
- Quickly wipe the surface of the skillet with a clean towel; melt the ghee in the skillet over medium heat and stir in curry powder; stir for 30 seconds.
- Add the cucumber slices. Cook, stirring constantly, until the cucumber is tender, 3-4 minutes. Remove skillet from heat.
- Add the cucumbers to the rice mixture and toss to combine. Refrigerate for at least 1 hour.
- Toss the toasted walnuts with the salad, then sprinkle a generous amount of paprika over the top. Serve chilled or at room temperature.